10 Fairly Local and Eco-Friendly Gift Ideas from Southern Alberta
If you're anything like me, then you're likely only just starting out with your Christmas shopping. As much as possible, I try to stay out of shopping malls, would rather give home-made gifts, prefer to give experiences and shop locally. So, without further ado, here are some of my favourite, fairly local, earth-friendly gift ideas from around Southern Alberta:
1. Give the gift of Christmas spirit. Invite your family, friends, or your favourite neighbour to attend the Nanton Community Christmas Concert at the Nanton Community Memorial Center in Nanton on December 13th at 7 p.m. Suggested admission is $10 per person or $15 per family. I have attended this concert for the past 12 years and it's always a must-do event during the holiday season for our family. The musical talent in this small town is simply beyond description! If you're not yet in the Christmas spirit, attending this concert or inviting someone else to attend will guarantee to put you into the spirit. All proceeds go to the Nanton Foodbank. Non-perishable food items are also welcome at the door.
2. Give a gift from local artisans this Sunday, December 9th from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Christmas in the Country Trade Show at the Bar U National Historic Site near Longview, Alberta. If you get hungry while you shop, grab a bite to eat from 'Fresh Country Kitchens' on-site.
3. Give the gift of art with art lessons from Mosaic Art & Gift in Nanton. This idea is especially useful if you're shopping for a child or grand-child. Their art lessons for kids are a popular activity with the locals. Check out their unique art & gift shop for more fabulous locally created art and stainglass creations.
4. Give the gift of locally produced food with a gift certificate from Community Natural Foods in Calgary at one of their three locations. They source wonderful and tasty, locally produced and organic foods and groceries from local suppliers. Their gift certificates are available in various denominations.
5. Give a gift from a local business from a member of Be Local Reap Calgary. Check out their holiday gift guide for more great local gift ideas.
6. Give a homemade personal care gift by learning how to make personal care products at the Holiday Gift Workshop at Green Calgary this Saturday, December 8th from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.. You can give the workshop as a gift or attend yourself. Attendees will leave with a new skill and and a 100 g of lotion and 200 g of hand wash. Registration required, $50.00 per person.
7. Give the gift of homemade cheese or beer by attending a workshop at the Changing Seasons Bed & Breakfast in Nanton.
8. Give the gift of grassfed & finished beef from Trails End Beef. Their beef is both Animal Welfare Approved and Grassfed Certified, and it's so tasty that their bulk beef for 2018 is already sold out, but you can secure your bulk beef order for 2019 by preordering now.
9. Give the gift of music with a hand-made artisan guitar from Charltone Guitars also in Nanton. These guitars are one-of-a-kind, mostly made with salvaged wood.
10. Give the gift of eco-friendly laundry with 100% mineral/plant based laundry powder from Claudia's Choices. Is there anyone on your list who doesn't do any laundry? Check out their online shop for more eco products and stocking stuffer gift ideas, such as lavender sachets for the dryer, magnet balls, laundry soap bars, vintage washboards and eco books.